The Gospel Standard Trust - Chapel Buildings Reference Source


The Trust is a charity that exists to help Gospel Standard churches in their management of public places of worship and chapel houses. 
This website has been drawn up to outline the many serious legal duties and liabilities of trustees, pastors, deacons and churches. Though every effort has been made to ensure the information given is accurate and helpful the Trust must disclaim any legal liability in its use. Responsibility rests with chapel trustees and church officers to correctly carry out all their duties using their own professional advisors if necessary. But the Trust has considerable experience in these matters. It acts as trustee for about 50 chapels open for public worship. There are Committee members knowledgeable on building work, finance and trusteeship. The Trust employs a law firm, expert in charity law. The Secretary has many years’ experience in this work, dealing with the Charity Commission, lawyers, estate agents and investment advisors. He is the contact point through which the Charity’s very considerable advisory and financial resources are channelled and you are encouraged to contact him with any queries.
Assistance can be given with procedures and documentation for changes in Trustees, First Registration of property with the Land Registry, sales of chapels and distribution of proceeds, and applications to the Charity Commission for changes to Trust Deed provisions. The Trust can manage funds held on behalf of other charities.
Grants and interest free loans can be given for chapel purchases, repairs, improvements and new-build.  During the last twenty years grants totalling about £925,000 have been made.  In addition to loans considerable grants have also been made from other chapel funds administered by the Trust.  Examples of cases where it has been our privilege to help are given here.
For more details about what the Gospel Standard Trust does, go to the Who are we? page, or for more details of who to contact with any questions, go to the Contact Us page.

Click here for further information on specific subjects.