“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled” (Matthew 5. 6).
“Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began” (2 Timothy 1. 9).
“The election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded” (Romans 11. 7).
“If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.” – “And they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.” – “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Acts 8. 37, 38; Matthew 28. 19).
Magazines published by the Gospel Standard Society
The Gospel Standard has been published monthly continuously since August 1835. It is essentially a spiritual magazine carrying articles, letters and poetry on scriptural subjects and does not venture into news or politics. It also includes book reviews and obituaries of godly men and women associated with the chapels which subscribe to the same beliefs. These beliefs were formulated as the Gospel Standard Articles of Faith in the 1870s when the Gospel Standard charitable societies, which now own the magazine, were formed. Some of these Articles of Faith are taken from those of the Westminster Assembly of Divines and the historical Baptist Confessions of 1646 and 1689, and subsequently revised by Dr. J. Gill. These were then amended by Mr. W. Gadsby, Mr. J. M’Kenzie and Mr. J. C. Philpot, and later added to, and eventually approved for use by the Gospel Standard Societies.
In addition to the main body of the magazine (usually 32 pages these days) there is a 'wrapper', normally between 8 and 16 pages, which includes advertisements of the services and ministers officiating in Gospel Standard chapels, plus other advertisements for books, etc. Perhaps unusually for today, the magazine rarely has any pictures and is still produced in black and white. The magazine was edited by Mr. B. A. Ramsbottom, pastor of Bethel Chapel, Luton, from 1971 until the end of 2015. The current editor is Mr. T. J. Rosier, pastor of Priory Chapel, Maidstone, Kent. Copies of all issues from 2004 till the latest complete year can be downloaded from the Downloads page.
The Friendly Companion was commenced in the 1850s by Mr. J. Gadsby as a monthly magazine for children. It existed in its initial form for only two years, but was restarted as a rather different magazine in 1875. It has now been published regularly for many years alongside the Gospel Standard, and today is edited by Mr. G. Tenbroeke, pastor of the chapel at Sheboygan, Wisconsin, USA. It usually has 24 pages with a coloured picture on the cover and a selection of interesting and profitable articles for children, scriptural lessons and Bible questions. Copies of all issues from 2004 till the latest complete year can be downloaded from the Downloads page.
Perception is a quarterly magazine started in 2009, the first editor, Mr. J. R. Broome, feeling there was a need for a publication for older children and young people. Sadly, Mr. Broome died in 2013, after which Mr. T. H. W. Scott was appointed editor. Although primarily for the 16-25 year old age group, many older readers have expressed appreciation of the magazine content. It contains articles on historical, doctrinal, biographical, factual and current matters. The magazine has 36 or 40 pages with a full colour cover, and numerous coloured photographs are included. Copies of issues from 2015 can be downloaded from the Downloads page.
To order any of the magazines please see the Contact Us page.