The procedure for updating the Gospel Standard DVD or the Gospel Standard magazines on USB stick is similar - for the USB stick the relevant files are under under the 'GS' folder. The USB stick can be updated directly if you wish, though it may be safer if you have copied it to your hard disc first. The Gospel Standard DVD can only be updated once it has been copied to a hard disc.
You should end up with a folder structure like this:
1. The 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 magazines. You may not need all (or any) of these, depending on which version of the DVD/USB you purchased. These files will be called 2009.pdf, 2010.pdf, 2011.pdf, 2012.pdf, 2013.pdf, 2014.pdf and 2015.pdf and should be copied into the ‘gs5’ folder. The versions on the download page do not include the magazine wrappers. If you would like the versions with wrappers, email us using the form on the Contact us
2. The 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 magazines. These are called 2016.pdf, 2017.pdf 2018.pdf and 2019.pdf and need to be copied into a new folder called 'gs6'. This may already exist if you have purchased the newer releases. Copy only the files for the years you do not have.
3. The startup (opening) page. This file is called GS.pdf and should be copied into the root folder as above to replace the existing file of the same name.
4. The updated index for the years 1971-2015. This file will be called gsindex5.pdf and should be copied into the ‘index’ folder to replace the existing file of the same name. If your DVD/USB already has all magazines up to the end of 2015 you will not need to copy this.
5. The index for 2016 to 2019 magazines called gsindex6.pdf, which should be copied into the 'index' folder and replace any file of the same name which is already there.
4. The corrected 1972 magazine for versions of the DVD issued in 2008. The original June 1972 magazine had 16 pages missing and 16 duplicated. This file is called ‘1972.pdf’ and replaces the file of the same name in the ‘gs5’ folder. This file is large (27 Mb) and will take some minutes to download. This only needs copying if you have the original version of the DVD issued in 2008 and it has not not been updated since.
If you have the DVD, you cannot update the DVD itself, because this cannot be written to. You may create a new DVD if you wish, simply by writing the entire folder structure as in the picture above to a new double-layer DVD, but you must still observe the terms of the licence agreement (see the cover of the DVD case) — you may not give the original DVD or a copy to someone else to use.